Alright, so we got this giant organic zucchini at a local farmers market for $1. Once I got over that excitement [Yes, these are the things I get pumped about] I searched for inspiration on what to make. My first recipe with this monster was soft and chewy chocolate “cookies”.
Like all of our recipes, these cookies are refined sugar free, dairy free, and oil free. I sweetened these beauties with 2 ripe bananas, medjool dates, and an apple, so there is no room [or want] for refined, processed granulated sugar. Using parchment paper on a cookie sheet means no oil needed! Win.
Some say you should discard the seeds when zucchinis get this big because they “are bitter and don’t taste good”… but I’m a little daredevil and I kept the seeds… and the skin too. I am glad I did, because they are delicious + no nutrients are lost! This recipe uses 2 cups finely shredded zucchini, so I only used about 1/5 of the vegetable.
What a good buy. Thank you, farmers market!
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 2 ripe bananas
- 5 dates
- 1 medium apple
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cup whole rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds, finely ground
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- ¼ cup raw cacao power
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Shred zucchini.
- Grind almonds into a meal.
- Combine bananas, dates, apple in a high powered food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add all ingredients to the dry mix and stir until well mixed.
- Using a spoon or small ice cream scoop, place spoonful on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and press to flatten just a little.
- Bake on 400* degrees for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Store in the fridge in an air tight container.